Sunday, July 2, 2000

June 17th, 2013


Dear brothers and sisters,

In missions, there are those who go and those who send. Faith Jireh Christian Commission will be partnering with Tommy Mak and sending him to Thailand this summer. I met Tommy when I was doing my internship while I was at seminary. I remember him as a cheerful young boy who came to my Sunday School class with his little sister, Betty. Tommy graduated from UC Santa Cruz last June and was called by God for full time ministry. He was diagnosed with testicular cancer and went into surgery last Friday. However, this has not stopped his plan for this summer’s mission trip to Thailand. He posted on facebook, “I just found out I most likely have testicular cancer and I'm getting surgery today, and the best part is I can still go to Thailand Mission Summer 2013 Project Commissioned and I'm still fund raising, so if anyone wants to support me text me! This reminds me of the man born blind so the glory of God will be shown. My hospital arrival time is 12 noon. Pray for me!” In a conversation with him this past weekend, Tommy told me that he sees nothing more important than simply loving and obeying God. He is trying to make the most of every opportunity to seek first the Kingdom of God.

Thailand is bound by complicated beliefs in mysticism and reincarnation as a result of the strong Buddhist influences that are engraved within their culture. Although their loyalty to the King becomes a challenge in sharing the Gospel, the people are very open and hospitable. The field of souls in Thailand is ripe and now is the time for great sowing and harvesting in Thailand. Tommy’s response to the invitation of a friend to the Thailand Mission Trip was: “‘Why not?’ I asked myself. By God’s grace I am free to go: My tutoring job contract ends in June, I don’t need to support my family, I have a US passport, and my heart is open to all the opportunities God has in store for me. If someone as free as I am doesn't go, who will?” Tommy will be going with Korean Campus Crusade For Christ to Thailand and serve in campus ministry, English class, English camp, personal evangelism, and evangelistic outreach for three weeks.

I have been keeping in touch with Tommy the past few days. Although he has not fully recovered from the surgery, he has not stopped planning for this mission trip. He is all ready to go tomorrow (June 18th). He eagerly wants to share with others what God has done in his life. Tommy’s faith in Christ and his love for God has deeply touched me and I think you will be too.

Twelve young people from Faith Jireh Christian Church will also be on short term mission in August. Pastor R. Kwong, Head of Practicum of The Hong Kong Short Term Mission Center, will be leading the team and doing the training. Your continuous prayer and support for Tommy and the twelve young people are greatly needed. If you would like to help us financially, please send your check to Faith Jireh Christian Commission at 212 9th Street, Suite #207, Oakland, CA 94607, or through paypal (http://faith-jireh.blogspot.com).

May God richly bless you!!

In His grace,
Charisse Siu
Senior Pastor, Chief Operation Officer
Faith Jireh Christian Commission

No comments:

Post a Comment